Saturday, January 3, 2009

Drama Queen

This poem is quite old, and was originally called "The Dead are Easy to Kill". I think at the time I wrote it, I was just doing my best to create something really freaky and hint at some deeper truths. Now when I read this it's actually kind of fun in a very peculiar way. I've renamed this "drama queen" for the time being.

five miles up the coast
my body washed ashore
new friend to the local children
they dressed me in a seaweed sunday best
and called me father
children of ritual consumption
lost to fragile fantasies
the youngest wrote in the sand
i live for sunny days
i dream of sunny days
i died this sunny day
they kicked sand in my face and fled
my howls concealed their departure

i walked from the tide
spewing salt and blood
the tear was black as it fell
you caught it with your tongue
licked your lips and baked
i lay next you
always watching your eyes
that spied his interest
i live for sunny days
i kill for sunny days
i died this sunny day
your motion was swift and deep
my motionless body laid to rest

they made a raft and put us to sea
a hand on your neck for safe keeping